- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Folks in Fukuoka wait in long lines to get their fix of distinctive extra-thin noodles swimming in a rectangular black box of pork-bone broth topped with tasty slices of char-shu, or roasted pork, negi (green onions), and sprinkles of togarashi (red pepper). Additional toppings such as kikurage, extra pork, or boiled eggs can be added for ¥100 each. The clerk gives you an order form (with English), and you indicate exactly how you like it, from the amount of shredded garlic to the fat content (locals go for more fat to get that sweet flavor they adore). You then buy a ticket from the machine inside the door. The clerk will help you if you are new to this gig. Hang onto it until you are seated in back at a private cubicle with a curtain that conceals all but the smells of the intoxicating substance you are about to receive. You place your ticket and order form on the counter below the curtain, and moments later the goods appear. The noodles taste best when ordered slightly chewy, and the soup is flavorful even with a light fat content. There are several branches, including one in the basement of the Hakata Station complex (and even some in Tokyo), but the best one is in Canal City.
- Address: B1F 1-2-22 , Sumiyoshi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka, 812-0018
- Phone: 092/263-2201
- Location: Fukuoka
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3-Star Canal City Fukuoka Washington Fr $136+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $109/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Fukuoka this May Fr $170+/Nt Expedia
- 3.5-Star Monterey Lasoeur Fukuoka Fr $86+/Nt — $86 Save with Hotels.com, $36/night less
- Stay 3 Nights and Save 30% on Your Stay!: the b hakata in May — $78 Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Save $$ in Fukuoka: Book Fr $58+/Nt — $58 Save with Hotels.com, $31/night less
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
After months of grounding due to safety and reliability concerns, the buzzed-about Boeing 787 Dreamline ... Read more
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more