Nagoya, Ise-Shima, and the Kii Peninsula Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Nagoya, Ise-Shima, and the Kii Peninsula
The Shrines: The Grand Shrines of Ise, rebuilt every two decades for the last 1,500 years, are the most sacred in Japan.
Shopping: Nagoya's Noritake is one of the world's largest porcelain makers. Seto, Tajimi, and Tokoname produce ceramics, Arimatsu tie-dyed fabrics, Gifu paper lanterns and umbrellas, and Seki samurai swords.
Japan at Work and Play: Tour the factories of Toyota and Noritake. See the annual sumo tournament in July or Chunichi Dragons baseball games.
Relive Japan's Modernization: Meiji-mura holds more than 60 original Meiji-era buildings (1868-1912)—including the foyer of Frank Lloyd Wright's Imperial Hotel—that were reconstructed here.
Eat Fish from the Bird's Mouth: In ukai cormorants capture ayu (sweetfish), but rings around the birds' necks prevent them from swallowing their catch, which is taken by fishermen.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Japan Awaits You! Flights to Nagoya From 698 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save in Nagoya: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $75+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Nagoya for Less: Hotels Fr $88+/Nt Travelocity
- Small budget: Book Nagoya Kanko 3 Nts in May Fr $152+/Nt — $152 Save with Expedia, $14/night less
- Nagoya Savings! Book at Nagoya Garden Palace Fr $140+/Nt — $140 Expedia