Shikoku Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Fodor's Chicago 2013
Shikoku, the smallest of Japan's four main islands, isn't somewhere many tourists manage to visit. The island is mountainous and mostly rural, but what Shikoku lacks in urban adventure it makes up for in an abundance of natural beauty, unique traditions, and very enthusiastic hospitality.
Accommodations on Shikoku range from ryokan and minshuku (guest houses) in old homes to international hotels and lavish onsen (thermal spa) resorts. Unless...read more
Three of Shikoku's four main cities—Takamatsu, Kochi, and Matsuyama—specialize in a variety of cuisines at very reasonable prices. In smaller...read more
Things To Do in Shikoku
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 — $36 Featured Destination: Japan
Get Off the Concrete: Discover Shikoku's natural charms by rafting, hiking, walking, and swimming. Best of all, bicycle across the Seto Inland... Read more
Every corner of Shikoku has a special dish, cuisine, or crop. Ehime is famous for mikan—clementines—and between November and March... Read more
If a day or two spent rafting, canyoning, and bridge walking (with a night in a hot spring) leaves you wanting more, grab your bullwhip and fedora... Read more
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger? ... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now75° F Partly Cloudy 61% Humidity May 26, 2013 at 4:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more