- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
In past centuries, pirate attacks were the biggest surprise travelers encountered on the Seto Inland Sea. Now, it's the art museums of Naoshima. This tiny island in the inland sea between Takamatsu and Okayama boasts three world-class contemporary art museums as well as an installation art project. If you're a fan of or are just curious about contemporary art, don't miss this unexpected highlight.
Naoshima at a Glance
Elsewhere in Shikoku
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe