- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Snowcapped peaks surround the old castle town of Matsumoto, where the air is cool and dry on the alpine plateau. More interesting and picturesque than Nagano, this gateway to the northern Alps is one of the best bases for exploring the area. Full of good cafés and restaurants, Matsumoto is also a center for traditional crafts including tensan, fabric woven from silk taken from wild silkworms; Matsumoto shiki or lacquerware; Azumino glass; and wood crafts. Old merchant houses stand along Nakamachi Street, south of the castle. Several influential educators, lawyers, and writers from this city have impacted Japan's sociopolitical system in the past.
Though it only takes a day to visit the main sights in town, Matsumoto's restaurants, cafés, and relaxed atmosphere make it a hard place to leave. It is worth staying a night or two to visit the outlying museums and onsen. Matsumoto is also a good base to visit Kamikochi to the west, or the post towns of Magome and Tsumago to the south.
Matsumoto at a Glance
- Daio Wasabi Nojo (Daio Wasabi Farm)
- Kyu Kaichi Gakko (Kaichi Primary School)
- Matsumoto Rekishi no Sato (Matsumoto History Village)
Elsewhere in The Japan Alps and the North Chubu Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 3-Star APA Niigata-Higashinakadori: $53 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Book 3-Star Chisun & Conference Center Niigata Fr $86+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- $101 & Up: Daiwa Roynet Toyama 3.5-Star Hotel in Toyama — $101 Expedia
- APA Toyama on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $69+/Nt — $69 Save with Expedia, $26/night less