- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- traditional setting
- beautiful building
- no private bath or toilets
- paper walls mean little privacy
Hatago Matsushiro-ya Review
This small ryokan in Tsumago has been a guesthouse since 1804. Delicately arranged dinners are served in your room. Some English is spoken. Ten large tatami rooms share a single bath and four very clean but old-fashioned pit toilets, and the walls are sliding paper screens. The ryokan is closed from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning.
- Address: 807 Azuma-Terashita, Minami-Nagiso-machi, Kiso-gun, 399-5302
- Phone: 0264/57-3022
- Location: Kiso Valley
- 7 Japanese-style rooms without bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
- No credit cards.
- Closed Wed.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Chisun & Conference Center Niigata Fr $86+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Save at 3-Star APA Niigata-Higashinakadori: $53 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- $101 & Up: Daiwa Roynet Toyama 3.5-Star Hotel in Toyama — $101 Expedia
- APA Toyama on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $69+/Nt — $69 Save with Expedia, $26/night less
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
This October, my husband and I are stopping off Narita for 11 days on our way back to USA from Taipei. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more