- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
This restaurant is known for its shojin ("temple food"), which includes sansai ryori, light dishes of mountain vegetables soaked in a rich miso paste and served with freshwater fish grilled with salt or soy sauce. Occasionally this treat is served atop a roasted magnolia leaf and called hoba-miso. The owner, Sumitake-san, can translate the menu for you. From Miya-gawa, head east on the Sanmachi-dori, crossing four side streets (including the one running along the river), walk up the hill, and take a left at the top. There is no English sign out front, but a white noren (hanging cloth) hangs in the entrance way of this Edo-era house. You might want to steer toward the semiformal. It's directly across from a small pay parking lot.
- Address: 2 Babacho-dori, Takayama, 506-0838
- Phone: 0577/32-0174
- Location: Takayama
- Reservations essential.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star APA Niigata-Higashinakadori in Niigata Fr $53+/Nt Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Save in Niigata: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $88+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Toyama Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $101+/Nt — $101 Expedia
- Book in Toyama: Save at the APA Toyama in May Fr $69+/Nt — $69 Save with Expedia, $26/night less
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
First, thanks to all who replied to my other thread about where to go for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more