- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Nara
Architecture: Nara's wealth of classical temples, pagodas, and shrines includes some of the world's oldest wooden structures. Crafted in the Chinese style, they evoke the vision of a new political order and a nation's religious and imperial odyssey.
Hospitality: The famously unaffected hospitality of Nara's citizens can best be experienced in a traditional, family-run inn.
Shopping: Locals in old wooden shops sell Nara's famous crafts: sumi (ink sticks) for calligraphy and ink painting, Nara sarashi (fine handwoven, sun-bleached linen), and akahadayaki pottery.
Local Eats: Renowned dishes include kaiseki; cha-gayu, green-tea-flavored rice porridge served with seasonal vegetables; and tangy nara-zuke, vegetables pickled in sake.
Todai-ji Temple Complex: The complex includes the Daibutsu-den (Hall of the Great Buddha), home to the monumental Great Buddha. The 8th-century San-gatsu-do houses Tenpyo-era statues.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore