- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Hanshin Awaji Daishinsai Kinen (Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake Memorial)
Hanshin Awaji Daishinsai Kinen (Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake Memorial) Review
In 1995, the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake killed 6,433 people and destroyed much of Kobe's harbor and vast areas of the city. Using documentary footage and audio, an introductory film shows the frightening destruction wrought upon this modern city. A re-created post-quake display, film screenings, and high-tech exhibits convey the sorrows and memories of the event. This excellent museum has English pamphlets and electronic guides and English-speaking volunteers are on hand. It's a 10-minute walk from the South Exit of JR Nada Station, one stop east of JR San-no-miya Station.
- Address: 1-5-2 Wakinohama Kaigan-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 651-0073 | Map It
- Phone: 078/262-5050
- Cost: ¥800 to both Disaster Reduction and Human Renovation exhibits; ¥500 each for either one
- Hours: Tues.--Sun. 9:30--4:30.
- Website: www.dri.ne.jp/english/index.html
- Location: Downtown Kobe
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more