- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At Hiraso you can try kakinoha-zushi, sushi wrapped in a persimmon leaf. What's more, you can take it away in a light wooden box wrapped with precision. Most set menus at Hiraso include cha-gayu, which is usually made with mushrooms or seasonal vegetables. Another featured Nara delicacy is kakisuga, dried persimmon, dusted with kudzu (flour made from the East Asian kudzu vine) or arrowroot powder and cooked tempura style. Hiraso has tables and chairs, but the tatami alcoves are more intimate. It's open all day, and take-out sushi is available from 10 to 8:30. On a clear day, the take-out kakinoha-zushi makes for a satisfying lunch in Nara Park.
- Address: 30-1 Imamikado-cho, Nara-machi, Nara, 630-8374
- Phone: 0742/22-0866
- Location: Nara-machi
- Mon. take-out only.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 — $36 Featured Destination: Japan
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am thinking about transfer options from Narita to Tokyo (Sheraton Miyako Hotel). Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more