- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Japanese Phrases
Tasty, healthful, and authentic dishes from the region are Kikufuji's specialty, from delicious vegetable stews like kenoshiru (vegetable soup) to the freshest seafood. The scallops brought in from the Mutsu Bay coast are superb, so try the hotateno-kaiyakimiso (scallops grilled in the shell). Because excellent dry, cold, local varieties of sake are available, dinner may be preferable here over lunch. It's a short taxi ride from JR Hirosaki Station, or a long walk out along the main northwest-southwest diagonal, near the stream crossing, and not far from the tall, freaky sci-fi building that contains Naka-san department store.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
After months of grounding due to safety and reliability concerns, the buzzed-about Boeing 787 Dreamline... Read more
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more