- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Japanese Phrases
If you have never indulged in some strictly top-end sukiyaki, shabu-shabu, or steak—or if you have and want to feel that way again—Sagoro will serve you a full dose of some excellent Yonezawa and Yamagata beef. The staff is polite and service is efficient. This will not only fill you up, but you may gush for days about the beef's impossible tenderness and its impeccable marbling of such ineffably sweet fat. Although most dishes are pricey in this sophisticated, upscale setting, there are some relative bargains. A simple plate of shoga-yaki (beef sautéed in ginger sauce; ¥1,785), with oshinko moriawase (pickled vegetables; ¥735), rice, and soup can make for a fairly reasonable meal. Go three blocks east from the station. Turn left. Look for the meat shop, and you'll see the black bull on the sign above the street next to it. Take the stairs up one flight to heaven.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 — $36 Featured Destination: Japan
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
I am thinking about transfer options from Narita to Tokyo (Sheraton Miyako Hotel). Read more
· News & Features
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more