- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Japanese Phrases
Tohoku, like the rest of Honshu, is riven by a series of dramatic chains of densely forested mountains. Not only will their rugged beauty take your breath away, they can also make travel difficult. If you allow for this, you won't be overly frustrated. Tohoku is comprised of six prefectures, and stretches from Fukushima, just a short train ride from Tokyo, to the remote and rugged Aomori, the northernmost tip of Honshu, within easy striking distance of Hokkaido. This broad swath of territory encompasses mountain ranges, primitive forests, stunning seacoasts, well-preserved feudal villages, sacred glaciated peaks and secluded temples, relaxing hot springs, and bottomless lakes in the craters of volcanoes.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore