- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Make a Wish. Visit the Asakusa Jinja where the souls of the three men who built Senso-ji are enshrined. If you have a special wish, purchase a wooden placard, write your message on it, and leave it for the gods.
A Japanese Party. Half-naked drunken people? Loud crowds? Brilliant colors? It's all part of the Sanja Festival, which happens every May in the streets of Asakusa.
Photo Op. Want to show your friends that you saw the Thunder God Gate? Then make sure you take a photograph in front of the giant red-paper lantern of Kaminari-mon.
Don't Eat That! Discover the delight of Japanese plastic food in Kappabashi.
Shop 'Til You Drop. Looking for trinkets or gifts to bring home? Visit more than 80 shops on Nakamise-dori that sell everything from rice crackers to kiriko (traditionally cut and colored glassware whose style was developed in the Edo period).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel