- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
The sheer size of the city and the diversity of its institutions make it impossible to fit all of Tokyo's interesting sights into neighborhoods. Plenty of worthy places—from Tokyo Disneyland to sumo stables to the old Oji district—fall outside the city's neighborhood repertoire. Yet no guide to Tokyo would be complete without them.
The 23 wards of Tokyo border four prefectures and a bay. The sheer size of the space in between those borders and the diversity of its institutions make it impossible to fit all of Tokyo's interesting sights into its neighborhoods. A number of historically and culturally important sights require a special trek off the Yamanote line. Yet no guide to Tokyo would be complete without them.
Central Tokyo is routinely described as a concrete haven that lacks greenery. Yet the Kasai Seaside Park offers numerous flora at the edge of Tokyo Bay. Tokyo has a few traditional areas remaining, but if the sport of sumo tickles your fancy, the most extensive collection of training stables is in the Ryogoku area. There are also theme parks, like the conventional Tokyo Disneyland and Sanrio Puroland, whose numerous kitsch attractions celebrate Japan's love for all that is cute. Creatures from the sea abound at the Shinagawa Aquarium and Sunshine International Aquarium. If land mammals are more to your liking, the Tama Zoo is a fine choice for kids.
Greater Tokyo at a Glance
Experience Greater Tokyo
- Kasai Seaside Park
- Sanrio Puroland
- Sengaku-ji (Sengaku Temple)
- Shinagawa Aquarium (Shinagawa Suizokukan)
Elsewhere in Tokyo
- Akihabara and Jimbo-cho
- Aoyama, Harajuku, and Shibuya
- Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park
- Imperial Palace and Government District
- Nihombashi, Ginza, and Yuraku-cho
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 — $36 Featured Destination: Japan