Getting Around by Train
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Getting Around by Train
Tokyo's train and subway system is on time, has clean facilities, and provides a safe environment. But it's also quite complicated.
Shinkansen: The JR Shinkansen bullet trains travel up and down Honshu and into Kyushu. Tokyo Station is Tokyo's main hub, with lines heading north, south, and west. There are two seat classes offered: ordinary and green; —the latter is roughly 30% more expensive, but the cars are less crowded and more comfortable. Smoking and nonsmoking cars are available.
Regional trains: About 70% of Japan's railways are owned by Japan Railways (JR Group), the other 30% is owned by private companies. In Tokyo, Japan Railways Yamanote Line loops around the city, while its Sobu and Chuo lines split that circle into east and west directions. Tokyu's Toyoko Line travels between Shibuya Station and Yokohama to the south. For Tokyo Disneyland take the JR Keiyo Line east. The main line of the Odakyu company and Keio Inokashira Line use Shinjuku and Shibuya, respectively, as hubs to serve Tokyo to the west. For service to Saitama Prefecture, Tobu offers the Tojo Line, which leaves Tokyo from Ikebukuro Station. Many of these rail companies also offer express trains, similar to the Shinkansen, for extended destinations away from Tokyo.
Subways: The easiest way to explore Tokyo is via subway. There are two subway companies: Tokyo Metro and Toei. Each system has separate fares, and it's cheaper to stay with one company. The Ginza Line moves between Asakusa and Shibuya, which is also served by the north-south-running Fukutoshin Line and the east-west-bound Hanzomon Line. Like the JR Yamanote Line, the Oedo and Marunouchi lines loop around the city center. The Namboku Line begins in residential Meguro and heads through Korakuen, the station for Tokyo Dome. At the outer edges of the subway networks, private companies operate the line; be prepared to pay an additional fare.
Tokyo Monorail: Beginning at Hamamatsu-cho Station, the monorail provides the simplest access to Haneda Airport.
In Tokyo basic train and subway fares are between ¥110 and ¥310. Purchase tickets from machines that take coins or cash near the gates. Maps above each machine—usually in Japanese and English—give destinations. Sometimes the station map will be only written in Japanese. In that case, buy the lowest-priced ticket and adjust the fare upon arrival. For purchasing Shinkansen and other long-distance train tickets that require a seat reservation, go to ticket windows or counters where staff will assist you.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel