- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Japan Railways (JR) offers a number of long-distance buses that are comfortable and inexpensive. You can use Japan Rail Passes on some, but not all, of these buses. Routes and schedules are constantly changing, but tourist information offices will have up-to-date details. It's now possible to travel from Osaka to Tokyo for as little as ¥5,000 one way. Buses are generally modern and very comfortable, though overnight journeys are best avoided. Nearly all are now no-smoking. Foreign travelers are not often seen on these buses, and they remain one of the country's best-kept travel secrets. Japan Rail Passes are not accepted by private bus companies. City buses outside Tokyo are quite convenient, but be sure of your route and destination, because the bus driver probably won't speak English.
Local buses have a set cost, anywhere from ¥100 to ¥200, depending on the route and municipality, in which case you board at the front of the bus and pay as you get on. On other buses cost is determined by the distance you travel. You take a ticket when you board at the rear door of the bus; it bears the number of the stop at which you boarded. Your fare depends on your destination and is indicated by a board at the front of the bus. Japan Railways also runs buses in some areas that have limited rail service. Remember, these buses are covered by the JR Pass, even if some JR reservation clerks tell you otherwise. Bus schedules can be hard to fathom if you don't read Japanese, however, so it's best to ask for help at a tourist information office. The Nihon Bus Association has information about routes and which companies have English Web information.
Reservations are not always essential, except at peak holiday times and on the most popular routes, like Tokyo-Osaka.
JR Kanto Bus. 03/3516-1950. www.jrbuskanto.co.jp.
Nihon Bus Association. www.bus.or.jp/e/index.html.
Nishinihon JR Bus. 06/6466-9990. www.nishinihonjrbus.co.jp.
Willer Express. www.willerexpress.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 — $36 Featured Destination: Japan