- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Hotels in Japan require foreign guests to show passports at check-in, but police are unlikely to ask foreign visitors for on-the-spot identification, although crime crackdowns on nightlife areas of big cities and political tensions with North Korea or Russia can alter local circumstances in some areas.
U.S. Passport Information
U.S. Department of State. 877/487-2778. travel.state.gov/passport.
U.S. Passport and Visa Expediters
A. Briggs Passport & Visa Expeditors. 800/806-0581 or 202/464-3000. www.abriggs.com.
American Passport Express. 800/455-5166 or 603/559-9888. www.americanpassport.com.
Passport Express. 800/362-8196 or 401/272-4612. www.passportexpress.com.
Travel Document Systems. 800/874-5100 or 202/638-3800. www.traveldocs.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan