Western Honshu Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Western Honshu
Photogenic Icons: Beside Miyajima, the O-torii rises from the Inland Sea. An hour from Matsue is the austere Izumo Taisha, a Shinto shrine reputed to ensure marital happiness.
Fabulous Seafood: Great seafood abounds: oysters (kaki) in Hiroshima; anago (conger eel) in Miyajima; uni-don (sea urchin over rice) in Hagi; mamakari (a sardinelike fish) in Kurashiki; and little black shijimi clams in Matsue.
Lessons of the Past: Although A-Bomb Dome in Hiroshima is held in great reverence, the city has embraced the future with its energetic multinational vibe.
Gardens: Okayama is home to one of Japan's top three gardens, the spacious and lush Korakuen, which surrounds the stunning black U-jo, or "Crow Castle."
The People: Though English is not widely spoken and foreigners may garner stares, locals will go above and beyond to help puzzled tourists.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Daiwa Roynet Okayama Ekimae Fr $218+/Nt Save with Expedia, $44/night less
- Small budget: Book Okayama City Koseicho 3 Nts in May Fr $93+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star Apa Hiroshima Ekimae in Hiroshima Fr $93+/Nt — $93 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Hiroshima Fr $125+/Nt — $125 Expedia
- Save in Hiroshima: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Expedia