Western Honshu Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Yamaguchi-Gateway to San-in
Yamaguchi is a small town, but one where you're likely to experience a disarming level of hospitality. It's also a logical base for striking out for territory hinterlands like Hagi and Tsuwano, especially if accommodations are fully booked in those romantic hideaways. The Shinkansen at nearby Shin-Yamaguchi will get you there, and—if you have the time to look around—the English-speaking Tourist Information Office will happily provide you with a map. For overnight stays, the Sunroute Hotel Yamaguchi is a basic, affordable option, about a 10-minute walk from the station.
You're likely make new friends if you duck in for a bite at favorite local restaurants like Tojima-zushi (sushi) or Domani, (an Italian restaurant that turns into an okonomi-yaki joint past 8 pm); both are located in the covered shopping mall about a five-minute walk up the street from JR Yamaguchi Station.
If you're more interested in resting your travel-weary body than grabbing a meal, pop your bags in a coin locker and head one train stop over to the Yuda Onsen, where the healing sulfur baths will leave you feeling rejuvenated and ready for the next leg of your journey.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel