- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- rooftop bath
- fantastic, multicourse meal is a great value
- frog-song lullabies in season
- bicycles for rent
- rustic and isolated, in an already quite remote place
- there are no private baths here
Tsuwano Lodge Review
Relax and revel in style at this lodge tucked among the rice paddies and bamboo groves along the way to the Washibara Hachiman-gu shrine. The owners are friendly (but don't speak much English), the rooms are basic but tasteful, and the food is diverse, healthful, and prepared with flair. Perhaps best of all, there's a rooftop rotemburo (outside bath) full of sulfur- and calcium-laden water that's good for the skin, hair, and nails. If you know your arrival time in advance, call ahead and the owner will gladly pick you up at the station.
- Address: Ushihara Guchi 345, Kanoashi-gun, Tsuwano, 699-5613
- Phone: 0856/72-1683
- Location: Tsuwano
- 8 Japanese-style rooms without bath.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
This October, my husband and I are stopping off Narita for 11 days on our way back to USA from Taipei. Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more