- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Many of the tour operators in town offer interesting rafting and kayaking trips, plus cycling expeditions. Several shops rent bikes for about $4 a day.
The owner of White Elephant Adventures, Derek, is as enthusiastic about sharing his adopted home country as he is about making sure each visitor's experiences are authentic and uncrowded and that the impact of these journeys on the local people and their environment is low. The tours are educational, led by local university students, and are constantly exploring new areas to provide a less touristy experience. Single- or multi-day hiking, biking, and kayaking adventures are available for groups of two to six people costing about $35 per head. Sisavangvong Rd. opposite Luang Prabang's only ice-cream shop on the main road, look for the 1947 BMW with sidecar and big red communist flag., Luang Prabang. 020/589-4394 or 030/514-0243. www.white-elephant-adventures-laos.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indochina Experience IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) IExplore
- Thailand & Laos Experience — $5,439 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (22-Day) — $10,250 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) — $7,995 IExplore