- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boat and Ferry Travel
In Luang Prabang you can find a boat for hire just about anywhere along the entire length of the road bordering the Mekong River; the main jetty is on the river side of Wat Xieng Thong.
Buses from Vientiane arrive four to five times daily and take between 8 and 11 hours. You have your choice of VIP (usually with air-conditioning and toilets aboard), express, and regular buses; prices range from 100,000 to 130,000 kip. You'll pay more if you buy your ticket from an agency in town. There are also buses to Phonsavanh (eight hours; 100,000 kip), Vang Vieng (five hours; 135,000 kip), Udomxai (four hours; 60,000 kip), and Luang Nam Tha (nine hours; 100,000 kip), among other places. There are two bus terminals in Luang Prabang, the Northern Bus Terminal, out near the airport, and the Ban Naluang Southern Bus Terminal, in the south of town, with services to respective destinations.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indochina Experience IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) IExplore
- Thailand & Laos Experience — $5,439 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (22-Day) — $10,250 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) — $7,995 IExplore