- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
A hard day's drive along Highway 7 from either Vientiane or Luang Prabang, the vast plain is difficult to reach. Travel operators in both cities, such as Diethelm Travel and Lao Youth Travel, offer tours. You'll fly into Xieng Khuang Airport in Phonsavanh, which is just 3 km (2 mi) outside town. Lao Airlines flies daily from Vientiane in the high season and every other day the rest of the year for about $80. Most hotels and guesthouses in Phonsavanh can arrange trips to the jar sites for $20 to $25 per person in a minivan or jeep; you can also take a taxi to the sites for about $30.
The bus to Phonsavanh from Luang Prabang costs 100,000 kip, and takes seven hours. From Vientiane it is 120,000 kip and is 10 hours or more.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indochina Experience IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) IExplore
- Thailand & Laos Experience — $5,439 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (22-Day) — $10,250 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) — $7,995 IExplore