The island resorts are very relaxed and normal beach rules apply. Swimwear is fine for the beach and for swimming (topless bathing is illegal) but a little more modest casual dress is required for dining. Guests trying to enter a restaurant in beach gear will be politely asked to cover up. If you visit the capital Malé or other islands where normal Maldivians live, do remember the Maldives is a devoutly Muslim nation. Respect local customs and dress conservatively, especially when visiting a mosque. Alcoholic drinks are available on the resort islands, but not elsewhere.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Sands of Time IExplore
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan