Myanmar Travel Guide
Myanmar—also known as Burma—is amazing. This country of nearly 50 million is rapidly emerging from 50 years of military dictatorship, blossoming into as worthy of a stop as its popular neighbors. The people are more than friendly; they're thrilled to have tourists after being so closed off to the West for so long. And it's safe; you won't constantly need to feel for your purse or hold your jewelry tightly. Burma is a country straddling two worlds—there are Wi-Fi and iPhones but no international ATMs, and there are pristine 12th-century pagodas and beautiful beaux-arts buildings, though how long they'll be preserved remains to be seen, which makes now the time to go. A note about this guide: It is impossible to go to Burma and not indirectly give money to the government, but with a little research and advance planning, travelers can support the local economy. The restaurants and hotels included here are privately run, but you will still pay a 10% government tax.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Myanmar restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Myanmar
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $79-$85 -- Today: Riviera Maya All-Incl. Resort, 55% Off Bookit.com
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- $2699 -- Australia & Asia: 2-Week Cruises w/Air, Save $1000 CruCon Cruise Outlet
- Temples of Bali & Borobudur IExplore
Explore Pagodas. Slip off your shoes and stare slack-jacked at Bagan's staggering spread of 2,200 untouched 11th- and 12th-century pagodas.... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha ... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I'm hoping my blog may be useful for anyone planning the Annapurna Circuit. Read more
I travelled to Agra in feb & spent 2-1/2 days there. Read more
After spending a day and a half in Beijing, I make way to the West Beijing Train Station. Read more