When to Go
When to Go
Peak Season: Mid-October to February
The Burmese call this the cold season, but you'll still find yourself plenty toasty, with temperatures in the hotter areas hovering in the mid-90s °F (mid-30s °C) in October, down to the mid-80s °F (mid-26 °C) in February. Hotels fill up quickly and rates will be at their highest. Airline pricing is set by the government; it's just a bit higher during peak season but planes are small and flights do book out.
Off Season: Late May to Late September
Southwestern monsoons, particularly from July to September, leave the country drenched, particularly in the western Rakhine State. The problem is not so much the rain itself as the aftermath, when dirt roads become impassible fields of mud. This is certainly the least expensive time to go. Around Pyay and Mandalay, you should be able to sightsee without getting soaked.
Shoulder Season: March to May
It's always hot and humid in Burma, but these are the months during which you'll roast if not careful. Temperatures in Rangoon can easily top 100°F (38 °F), with temperatures going even higher in Bagan and Mandalay. Still, because it's dry, hotel rates are not at their lowest, especially those with pools.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Temples of Bali & Borobudur IExplore
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan