Around the Clock Eats
Early birds can breakfast in Little India, Geylang, and Malay areas, especially around Arab Street. Starbucks, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Delifrance, and McDonald's are scattered throughout major tourist centers and open for breakfast around 8.
Breakfasts vary with respect to Singapore's multicultural population: noodles, dumplings, or chok/congee (rice porridge with shredded meats and veggies) for the Chinese, nasi lemak (coconut rice) with fish and egg, meat curries, or roti (breads) for the Indians. For something closer to a western-style breakfast, try kaya (egg-and-coconut jam) toast with coffee. More-elaborate lunch options include Chinese dim sum, where small dishes are wheeled around on trolleys, and the Indonesian nasi padang, where rice is accompanied by meats and vegetables.
Late-night makan (eating) is a big thing, especially in suburban estate areas, the ethnic quarters of Chinatown, Geylang, and Little India/Serangoon, and the island's quiet backstreets. Geylang's Boon Tat Street, next to the 24-hour Lau Pa Sat market off Robinson Road, is packed with outdoor food stalls open nightly. Night owls can also be found at 24-hour Kopitiam (coffee shop) outlets on Waterloo Street and Orchard Road (in the Le Meridien Singapore's basement). The Muslim and Indian outdoor restaurant at the corner where "Food Alley" (Murray Street) crosses Maxwell Road (close to the junction with Tanjong Pagar/Neil Road) is good for late-night roti prata (bread with curry), known as roti canai in Malay. The restaurants in the Clarke Quay and Boat Quay areas open fairly late. Malay restaurants tend to close early, while more formal Chinese restaurants close almost on the dot at 10 PM; western-style restaurants usually take their last order around 10:30 PM.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- May deal: Fragrance - Imperial Fr $102+/Nt Save with Expedia, $15/night less
- $284 & Up: Regent Singapore 5-Star Hotel in Singapore Save with Expedia, $44/night less
- Singapore 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1643 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 32 Nt Cruise! Princess Cruises Fr $3,599 Expedia