Singapore Botanic Gardens
Singapore Botanic Gardens Review
The gardens were begun in 1859 and carry the hallmarks of Victorian garden design—gazebos, pavilions, and ornate bandstands included. This is still one of the world's great centers of botanical scholarship, attracting international scientists to its herbarium and library; the gardens' work on orchid hybridization and commercialization for export has been groundbreaking. Botanist Henry Ridley experimented here with rubber-tree seeds from South America; his work led to the development of the region's huge rubber industry and to the decline of the Amazon basin's importance as a source of the commodity.
Spread over some 128 acres, the grounds contain a large lake (with black swans from Australia), masses of shrubs and flowers, and magnificent examples of many tree species, including fan palms more than 90 feet high. Don't miss the 10-acre natural remnant rain forest. Locals come here to stroll along nature walks, jog, practice tai chi, feed geese, or just enjoy the serenity. There's an excellent visitor center and garden shop, as well as a few restaurants. Recently, about 319 acres of the gardens were trisected into three different zones, each with its own identity and attractions. The ecolake extension at the Bukit Timah side of Cluny Road is a lovely open site with interesting displays of commercial, culinary, and medicinal crops and herbs.
Inside the Botanic Gardens is the 7.4-acre National Orchid Garden, where you can see more than 700 orchids and some 2,100 hybrids, bred over the past 70 years. www.nparks.gov.sg. S$5. Daily 8:30-7.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Small budget: Book Fragrance - Sunflower 3 Nts in May Fr $59+/Nt Expedia
- Book Now & Save! Singapore Fr $191+/Nt Travelocity
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Singapore Fr $1640 Expedia
- Explore Asia with Princess Cruises Fr $599 Expedia
In late May I found out I would be working in Thailand for 2 weeks and asked you kind folks here for suggestions for what to do for a short vacation after I finished work. Read more
Well I am sat in the airline lounge waiting for my flight to BKK, where I will get my AA flight to Singapore. Read more
My husband's been invited to a conference in Singapore early March 2014. Read more
· News & Features
It's time you put Singapore at the top of your travel wishlist. ... Read more
Sampling local specialties is the name of the game in Singapore, and most can be found at their very bes... Read more
Exploring the fabled regions of the Far East is infinitely easier by sea.... Read more