It's not advisable to rent a car in Singapore. There's really no reason to rent a car in here, unless you'd like to drive into Malaysia. Driving can be a harrowing experience thanks to road congestion, particularly during rush hour and on weekends and holidays. Highway names, tariffs, and all licensing schemes are abbreviated, causing great confusion. Thankfully, the island is relatively small and its public transportation system is excellent. Taxis are safe, clean, cheap, and can cater to travelers with specific needs and large groups. Renting a car will cost up to S$800 per day, plus insurance and payment for compulsory safety seats if you're traveling with children. Additionally, you'll need to pay for fuel, parking, and a stored value CashCard (from a convenience store or post office), from which tolls are automatically deducted.
Avis National. Changi Airport, Terminal 2, Arrival Hall, Singapore. 6542-8855. www.avis.com. #07-01 Grand Copthorne Waterfront Plaza Hotel, 392 Havelock Rd., Havelock. 6737-1668.
CityLimo. #01-41 Specialists' Shopping Centre, 277 Orchard Rd., Orchard. 6737-8282. www.citylimo.com.sg.
Hertz. Changi Airport, Terminals 1 & 2, Arrival Hall, Singapore. 6542-5300. www.hertz.com.
Sans Tours. 100 Kim Seng Plaza, River Valley. 6734-9922. www.asiatours.com.sg.
Requirements & Restrictions
Although Singaporeans can get their licenses at 18, most agencies only rent cars to drivers who are at least 21. Some companies even charge an extra fee (up to S$30 daily) for drivers under 25. On paper, many profess an upper age limit of 60, but healthy seniors are rarely prevented from renting. Most companies will accept a valid home country license as long as it's in English. Children under 8 are required to have child safety seats, so inform the rental company upon booking and they'll provide you with them for less than S$10 per week. Bring your own devices for infants under six months.
Rental cars are hired for use within Singapore only. An additional surcharge of between S$25 and S$40 will be levied for driving your rental into Malaysia. You can get your car delivered to your hotel or another location for a fee, usually S$20. Most companies have offices at Changi Airport and downtown; there's no fee for dropping your car at either of these locations. To avoid a hefty refueling fee, fill the tank just before you turn in the car, but be aware that gas stations near the rental outlet may overcharge.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 4-Star Carlton Singapore in Singapore Fr $250+/Nt Save with Expedia, $65/night less
- Somerset Bencoolen in May: $210 & Up Save with Expedia, $66/night less
- Top Vacation Sale! 5 Nts + Air as Low as $982 Travelocity
- See Asia on the Sun Princess (Princess Cruises)! Fr $4,299 Expedia