Singapore has 11 public holidays, of which only four (New Year's, Labour Day, National Day, and Christmas) fall on fixed dates. The rest are religious holidays whose dates depend on the lunar calendar. Some dates, such as Deepavali, will only be confirmed the year before. Consult the Singapore Ministry of Manpower Web site (www.mom.gov.sg) for updates. If a holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday will be a public holiday. If you plan to travel to Singapore during Chinese New Year, plan your shopping around the official holiday days as most stores close. This is the only time of year when finding open restaurants outside of hotels can be tough.
New Year's Day: January 1.
Hari Raya Haji: Jan. 10, 2006; Dec. 20, 2007; Dec. 9, 2008.
Chinese New Year (2 days): Jan. 29 & 30, 2006; Feb. 18 & 19, 2007; Feb. 7 & 8, 2008.
Good Friday: Apr. 14, 2006; Apr. 6, 2007; Mar. 21, 2008.
Labour Day: May 1.
Vesak Day: May 12, 2006; May 31, 2007; May 19, 2008.
National Day: Aug. 9.
Deepavali: Nov. 1, 2005; Oct. 20, 2006; Nov. 9, 2007; Oct. 27, 2008.
Hari Raya Puasa: Nov. 3, 2005; Oct. 4, 2005; Oct. 24, 2006; Oct. 13, 2007; Oct. 2, 2008.
Christmas: Dec. 25.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 4-Star Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard City Centre Fr $272+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Singapore this May Fr $193+/Nt Expedia
- 4.5-Star Singapore Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1563 Expedia
- See Singapore & More: 15 Nts Aboard Princess Cruises Fr $2,049 Expedia