Mail & Shipping
Mail & Shipping
Most hotels provide mail services for their guests. Allow a week for letters and postcards to reach North America and the U.K. Letters to Australia and New Zealand generally take about five days. Singapore's postal services are decentralized; no focal office has sprung up since the magnificent General Post Office became part of a deluxe hotel. Two useful Singapore Post offices are the Tanglin Road Post Office, open 8-8 daily, and the Killiney Road Post Office off Orchard Road, which is open later than other post offices, until 9 PM Monday-Saturday and 9-4:30 Sunday and holidays.
When sending mail to Singapore include the six-figure postcode, which is specific to each building.
Singapore Post Toll Free Enquiries for the closest post office. 1605. www.singpost.com.sg.
Killiney Road Post Office. 1 Killiney Rd., off Orchard Road, Singapore. 6734-7899.
Tanglin Shopping Centre. 56 Tanglin Rd., Orchard. 6734-5899.
Singapore is serviced by key international courier companies, however, it's rare for documents or packages to reach the U.S. or Europe overnight. Expect parcels to arrive at least 48 hours after they're posted. Your hotel will be able to organize an international courier service.
Federal Express. 1800/743-2626.
United Parcel Service (UPS). 1800/738-3388.
If you know which hotel you'll be staying at, have mail sent there marked hold for arrival." American Express cardholders or traveler's check users can have mail sent to their offices c/o American Express. Envelopes should be marked "Client Mail." Poste Restante is available at the Singapore Post Centre on Eunos, about a 10-minute taxi ride from Orchard Road, which is open weekdays 8 AM-9 PM, Saturday 8 AM-6 PM, and Sunday and holidays 10 AM-4 PM.
American Express International. #18-01/07 The Concourse, 300 Beach Rd., Singapore, 199555. 6299-8133.
Singapore Post. 10 Eunos Rd., Eunos, 408600. 6841-2000. www.singpost.com.sg. Eunos.
All reputable furniture, curio, and antiques dealers can arrange for your goods to be shipped home. It's a good option because they can ensure that the items make it to you in one piece. Ask for written confirmation of delivery details and the contact information for the freight forwarder in your home country so that you can follow-up. Items made of wood that are sent to Australia or New Zealand will be sprayed with pesticides as per customs regulations. This won't harm the look or quality of your goods.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book in Singapore: Save this May Fr $250+/Nt Save with Expedia, $53/night less
- Book in Singapore: Save at the New Majestic in May Fr $209+/Nt Save with Expedia, $20/night less
- 4.5-Star Singapore Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1563 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 19 Nt Cruise! Princess Cruises Fr $2,199 Expedia