Passports & Visas
Passports & Visas
When traveling internationally, carry your passport even if you don't need one (it's always the best form of ID) and make two photocopies of the data page (one for someone at home and another for you, carried separately from your passport). If you lose your passport, promptly call the nearest embassy or consulate and the local police.
U.S. passport applications for children under age 14 require consent from both parents or legal guardians; both parents must appear together to sign the application. If only one parent appears, he or she must submit a written statement from the other parent authorizing passport issuance for the child. A parent with sole authority must present evidence of it when applying; acceptable documentation includes the child's certified birth certificate listing only the applying parent, a court order specifically permitting this parent's travel with the child, or a death certificate for the nonapplying parent. Application forms and instructions are available on the Web site of the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs (travel.state.gov).
U.S., Canadian, U.K., Australian, and New Zealand citizens only need a valid passport for stays up to 14 days. Your passport must be valid for the next six months or more and in good condition. You may automatically be given a 30-day Social Visit Pass upon your arrival if you come from any of these countries; apply to Singapore Immigration after you arrive if you require a longer stay. Women in an advanced stage of pregnancy (six months or more) should make prior application to the nearest Singapore overseas mission or the Singapore Immigration Department.
Check with the Indonesian foreign mission before visiting Bintan or Batam Island for visa requirements. At press time, Australian, American, New Zealand, and most European passport holders need a visa to enter Indonesia. Getting a visa in your home country may take up to five days. It cost S$25 entry for less than three days and S$41 for more than three days.
Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA). ICA Bldg., 10 Kallang Rd., Bugis. 6391-6100. www.app.ica.gov.sg.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Singapore Fr $243+/Nt Save with Expedia, $52/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Singapore Fr $183+/Nt Save with Expedia, $38/night less
- 4-Star Singapore Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1575 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 4 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $785 Expedia