Singapore may be a tiny island, but it's got one of the most efficient, cost-effective, and reliable public transportation systems in the world. The Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system covers the main stretches across the island, while buses cover other routes. All stations, carriages, and vehicles are well-maintained, well-lit, and safe. Announcements, route maps, and exit guides are in English and easy to understand. Taxis provide a faster and more comfortable ride, but at a higher price. You can hail one from the street, wait for one at taxi stands, or call one for a pick up. Exploring on foot makes the most sense around the self-contained ethnic areas of Chinatown, Little India, and Kallang as well as along the designated paths along Singapore River and the East Coast Parkway.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Visit Singapore for Less: Hotels Fr $132+/Nt Travelocity
- Book in Singapore: Save at the Re! in May Fr $148+/Nt Expedia
- Singapore 4.5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1635 Expedia
- See Singapore & More: 15 Nts Aboard Celebrity Cruises Fr $1,799 Expedia