Changdeokgung Palace Review
If you only have time for one of Seoul's five palaces, Changdeokgung is the one to see. Built in 1405, it is the Joseon Dynasty's second palace and is now registered as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site. Changdeokgung has an older, more historic feel than some of the other palaces and was designed to blend in with the natural landscape surrounding it. What truly sets it apart, however, is its stunning garden. Nestled on a hill and featuring a lotus pond and 300 year old trees, the garden follows the serene flow of the four valleys that divide it. Most days, visitors are required to join a 90 minute tour of the palace and gardens. The tours are interesting and informative, but for a more serene and contemplative experience, visit on a Thursday when guests can roam freely (albeit for a higher admission fee). For guided tour times in English, see the palace website.
- Address: 2-71 Waryong-dong , Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-360 | Map It
- Phone: 02/762-8261
- Cost: guided tour (palace only) W3,000, guided tour (palace and garden) W5,000, solo entry (Thursdays only) W15,000
- Hours: Tues.--Sun. Apr.--Oct. 9--6:30, Nov. & Mar. 9--5:30, Dec.--Feb, 9--5.
- Website: eng.cdg.go.kr
- Location: Seoul
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Cosmopolitan Hong Kong IExplore
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
· News & Features
Getting stuck at the airport usually equates to mind-numbing boredom. ... Read more