Erawan National Park
Erawan National Park Review
Some of the most spectacular scenery of Kanchanaburi Province can be found in Erawan National Park. The main attraction is Erawan Waterfall, which has seven tiers; the topmost supposedly resembles the mythical three-headed elephant (Erawan) belonging to the Hindu god Indra. You'll need to make a rather steep 2-km (1-mile) hike to get to the top (it should take about two hours). Comfortable footwear is essential, and don't forget to bring water! You can swim at each level of the waterfall (levels 2 through 5 are the most popular). The first tier has a small café, and there are several others near the visitor center. There are also accommodations (bungalows from B800 to B2,400, sleeping up to eight, or tents from B270, sleeping up to four) in two locations—the ones nearest the waterfall are quieter.
The park is massive; the waterfall is near the main entrance—so, too, are the visitor center and accommodations. Other highlights of the park include five caves. One of them, Ta Duang, has wall paintings, and another, Ruea, has prehistoric coffins. The caves are much farther away and are accessed via a different road. About 2 km (1 mile) from the park is Erawan Village; songthaews leave from its market and travel to the park entrance and the caves (B500-B600).
The bus (No. 8170) to Erawan leaves Kanchanaburi's bus station every 50 minutes; the trip takes 90 minutes.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enchanted Thailand! Flights to Bangkok From 788 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- $78 & Up: Baiyoke Sky 3.5-Star Hotel in Bangkok Save with Expedia, $20/night less
- 4-Star Amari Boulevard Bangkok Fr $76+/Nt Hotels.com
- Save at 4.5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Bangkok Fr $1429 Expedia
- Explore Asia with Avalon Waterways Fr $4,024 Expedia
Thanks again to Asia Fodorites for guidance and inspiration in putting together this 2 ½ month trip (February – April), our first opportunity for an extended visit to this fascinating and challenging Read more
I have posted this on the Phuket tripadvisor forum, so some of you might have already seen it. Read more
Does anyone have any experience with Toi's Tours in Kanchanaburi? Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more