If you need respite from the heat, noise, and pollution of Bangkok, the surrounding countryside offers many possibilities. There are several sights directly outside the city, easily reached in a few hours by bus, train, or taxi. Kanchanaburi Province can become a mini-vacation all on its own, with Kanchanaburi city being the gateway to a first glimpse of Thailand's wilderness.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enchanted Thailand! Flights to Bangkok From 788 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 4-Star Holiday Inn Bangkok Silom Fr $129+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Emporium Suites by Chatrium Fr $133+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $201/night less
- Save at 3.5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Bangkok Fr $1366 Expedia
- See Asia & More: 17 Nts Aboard Avalon Waterways Fr $4,024 Expedia