- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Safety and Precautions
Hua Hin has witnessed an expat boom in the last five years, and along with higher prices and high-rise condos there has been an inevitable influx of less desirable elements. These usually manifest themselves as hawkers along the town's more touristy boulevards, but late at night there have been some crimes against property and persons reported away from the popular areas. Pickpockets have been known to operate in town, and there have been a few thefts from hotel rooms. These incidents are few and far between, but when considering a late night, always stay within the main tourist drag of bars and restaurants, and ensure that you get a registered tuk-tuk driver (easy to spot because they will display their credentials) if you are going some distance. If you leave your valuables in the hotel, be sure you lock them in the safe provided.
Overall, the town is safe, as you would expect for a place that hosts the King and Queen of Thailand, and the police are in full evidence during the day and night. The crime rate in Thailand is generally lower than in the West, but as in most tourist destinations it does rise with the influx of tourists who focus on relaxation and fun rather than personal safety.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Starting Fr $537: Great Hua Hin Price Save with Hotels.com, $92/night less
- Hua Hin Savings! Book at Anantara and Spa Hua Hin Fr $159+/Nt Save with Expedia, $34/night less
- Save $$ in Hua Hin: Book Fr $133+/Nt — $133 Save with Hotels.com, $34/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Hilton Hua Hin & Spa Fr $220+/Nt — $220 Save with Expedia, $45/night less
- Super Low Hua Hin Rate: Book Fr $61+/Nt — $61 Save with Hotels.com, $6/night less