- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Khao Takiab, the beach directly to the south of Hua Hin, is a good alternative for people who wish to avoid Hua Hin's busier scene; tourists who stay in Takiab are mostly well-off Thais who prefer Takiab's exclusivity to Hua Hin's touristy atmosphere, and you can find many upscale condos and small luxury hotels here. The beach itself is wide and long, but the water is quite murky and shallow, and not very suitable for swimming.
Sunbathing is the ideal activity here, especially during low tide, when the golden, sandy beach is flat and dry (and usually empty). The usual water activities like jet skiing and banana boating are available here, and are more enjoyable than in Hua Hin, as the beach and water are less crowded. The southern part of the beach ends at a big cliff, which has a tall, standing image of the Buddha. You can hike to the top of the hill, where you find a small Buddhist monastery and several restaurants with excellent views.
Takiab Beach at a Glance
Elsewhere in Gulf Coast Beaches
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Hua Hin Fr $119+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $328/night less
- Book Hilton Hua Hin & Spa in May: Sale! Save 20% on this Stay. Save with Expedia, $44/night less
- Save $$ in Hua Hin: Book Fr $1,255+/Nt — $1,255 Hotels.com
- Special deal: 5-Star Intercontinental Hua Hin Fr $244+/Nt — $244 Expedia
- Book in Hua Hin Fr $91+/Nt — $91 Save with Hotels.com, $38/night less