- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At the end of the 19th century, when Lampang was a thriving center of the teak trade, the well-to-do city elders gave the city a genteel look by buying a fleet of English-built carriages and a stable of nimble ponies to pull them through the streets. Until then, elephants had been a favored means of transport—a century ago the number of elephants, employed in the nearby teak forests, nearly matched the city's population. The carriages arrived on the first trains to steam into Lampang's fine railroad station, which still looks much the same as it did back then. More than a century later, the odd sight of horse-drawn carriages still greets visitors to Lampang. The brightly painted, flower-bedecked carriages, driven by hardened types in Stetson hats and cowboy boots, look very touristy, but the locals also use them to get around the city, albeit for considerably less than the B150 visitors are usually charged for a short city tour.
Lampang's tourist office is on Thakhraonoi Road near the clock tower. It keeps irregular hours; officially it's open 9 to 5 daily, but as in Lamphun, you might find the office closed on weekends and even on some afternoons.
Lampang at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Thailand
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 5-Star Shangri-La , Chiang Mai Fr $120+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $61/night less
- 4.5-Star Siripanna Villa & Spa Fr $341+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $146/night less
- Starting Fr $130: Great Chiang Mai Price — $130 Hotels.com
- 3-Star Baan Deva Montra Fr $55+/Nt — $55 Save with Hotels.com, $61/night less
- 3.5-Star Kaomai Lanna Fr $58+/Nt — $58 Hotels.com