- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Near the border of Laos lies the city of Nan, a provincial capital founded in 1272. According to local legend, Lord Buddha, passing through the Nan Valley, spotted an auspicious site for a temple to be built. By the late 13th century Nan was brought into Sukhothai's fold, but it maintained a fairly independent status until the last few decades.
Tourist information about Nan Province, Nan itself, and Phrae is handled by the Tourism Authority of Thailand's regional office in Chiang Rai.
Nan at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Northern Thailand
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore Chiang Mai For Less! Book Fr $45+/Nt Hotels.com
- Book 3-Star Eurana Boutique Fr $33+/Nt Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- 5-Star Shangri-La , Chiang Mai Fr $119+/Nt — $119 Save with Hotels.com, $45/night less
- Book Siripanna Villa & Spa in May: Save 30% on this stay! — $182 Save with Expedia, $66/night less
- $23 & Up: Cheap Chiang Mai Stay — $23 Hotels.com