American Samoa Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Make Underwater Friends. Pristine Ofu Beach's water, home to more than 300 species of fish, are deep enough for excellent diving.
Dive in a Park. The National Park of American Samoa is the only American park south of the equator; hike in its rainforest before snorkeling and diving in its coral reefs.
Visit a Volcanic Island. This U.S. territory has five and, though there haven't been eruptions in 100 years, they're still worth a peek.
Take in a Cricket Match. The Samoan version of cricket—played here and on neighboring Samoa—employs the same bat and ball, but with different and often varying rules.
Eat Very Local. Eating is a beloved pastime on both Samoa and American Samoa; try fire-roasted coconut cream and taro leaves, breadfruit, and cooked green bananas.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,331 Air New Zealand