Canberra Travel Guide
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
As the nation's capital, Canberra is often maligned by outsiders, who see the city as lacking the coolness of Melbourne or the glamour of Sydney. But Canberra certainly has charms of its own, with its world-class museums (the majority of which are free), leafy open spaces, and the huge Lake Burley Griffin.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
The main restaurant precincts are around the city center and in the trendy suburbs of Manuka and Kingston. However, many fine eateries are tucked away in...read more
Things To Do in Canberra
Canberra's most important public buildings stand within...read more
- Book 4.5-Star Crowne Plaza Canberra Fr $182+/Nt Save with Expedia, $20/night less
- Special deal: 4-Star Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Fr $155+/Nt Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Small budget: Book Mercure Canberra 3 Nts in May Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Hyatt Canberra Fr $339+/Nt — $339 Expedia
- Small budget: Book Novotel Canberra 3 Nts in May Fr $139+/Nt — $139 Expedia
The Ngunnawal people were the first inhabitants of the area now known as Canberra and the A.C.T., and the name Canberra comes from the Ngunnawal... Read more
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
August - September 2012
August 18 (Saturday): Newark to San Francisco to Sydney
My spouse and I flew United from Newark, NJ (EWR) to Sydney (SYD) via San Francisco (SFO). Read more
Last week we spent 5 days on Tasmania's beautiful west coast.
I last traveled on the Bass Strait ferry back in the 80s but Geoff and Taine had never taken the voyage so we decided it would be a fun bu Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more