- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Parliament House Review
Much of this vast futuristic structure is submerged, covered by a domed glass roof that follows the contours of Capital Hill. You approach the building across a vast courtyard with a central mosaic titled Meeting Place, designed by Aboriginal artist Nelson Tjakamarra. Native timber has been used almost exclusively throughout the building, and the work of some of Australia's finest contemporary artists hangs on the walls.
Parliament generally sits Monday to Thursday mid-February to late June and mid-August to mid-December. Both chambers have public galleries, but the debates in the House of Representatives, where the prime minister sits, are livelier and more newsworthy than those in the Senate. Guided tours take place every half hour from 9 to 4.
Question Time. The best time to observe the House of Representatives is during Question Time, starting at 2, when the government and the opposition are most likely to be at each other's throats. To secure a ticket for Question Time, contact the sergeant-at-arms' office until 12:30 pm on the day you require a ticket. 02/6277-4889 sergeant-at-arms' office.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Canberra this May Fr $189+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Canberra this May Fr $351+/Nt Expedia
- Novotel Canberra in May: $144 & Up — $144 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Fr $160+/Nt — $160 Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- Book in Canberra: Save this May Fr $194+/Nt — $194 Save with Expedia, $34/night less
August - September 2012
August 18 (Saturday): Newark to San Francisco to Sydney
My spouse and I flew United from Newark, NJ (EWR) to Sydney (SYD) via San Francisco (SFO). Read more
Last week we spent 5 days on Tasmania's beautiful west coast.
I last traveled on the Bass Strait ferry back in the 80s but Geoff and Taine had never taken the voyage so we decided it would be a fun bu Read more
Just came back from my vacation in Sydney.....loved every bit of this gorgeous place....I visited some of the magnificent landmarks like Sydney opera house, The Harbor bridge....must admit, the trip Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more