Biking in Brisbane
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
An extensive network of bicycle paths crisscrosses Brisbane. One of the best paths follows the level, recently upgraded Bicentennial Bikeway southeast along the Brisbane River, across the Goodwill Bridge, then along to South Bank Parklands or Kangaroo Point cliffs. The new Kuripla Bridge and Go Between Bridge are also both cyclist-friendly ways to cross the river between the city and South Brisbane.
Brisbane City Council. The Brisbane City Council Web site includes downloadable maps and lets you search for bikeways. Visitors can pick up free Council-operated CityCycle bikes from 150 designated points around the inner city, returning them when they're done. www.brisbane.qld.gov.au.
Gardens Cycle Hire. Gardens Cycle Hire, on Alice Street, hires out bicycles for A$15 for an hour or A$35 a day, or A$55 if you want the bike for a whole week (all prices include helmets). For A$10 extra they'll deliver a rental bike to your hotel. Tandem bikes are also available. 0408/003198. www.brisbanebicyclehire.com. Closed Tuesday and in bad weather.
Riverlife Adventure Centre. Riverlife Adventure Centre runs guided rock-climbing and abseiling sessions off Kangaroo Point cliffs, cycling tours around Brisbane attractions, day and night kayaking trips on the Brisbane River (followed by prawns and drinks or a barbecue), skate lessons and rollerblade hire, and indigenous culture experiences. A highlight is the Mirrabooka Aboriginal Cultural Experience, which includes a traditional performance by the Yuggera Aboriginal Dancers and hands-on instruction in fire-starting, instrument-playing, boomerang-throwing, and painting, plus food-tasting. Naval Stores, via Lower River Terrace or River Terrace, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane, QLD, 4169. 07/3891-5766. www.riverlife.com.au. A$49-A$79.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Party in Australia! Flights to Brisbane From 929 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Explore Brisbane For Less! Book Fr $277+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $49/night less
- Oaks on Felix in May: $163 & Up Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Explore Australia/New Zealand with Princess Cruises Fr $1,999 Expedia
- $141 & Up: Cheap Brisbane Stay — $141 Save with Hotels.com, $102/night less