- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
You can reach Long Island (but not Paradise Bay Island Eco-Escape) several times a day via air-conditioned catamaran with Cruise Whitsundays from Shute Harbour, Abel Point Marina (Airlie Beach) via Daydream Island, or Hamilton Island. The 35-minute journey from Hamilton Island Airport costs A$60 one-way, or pay A$50 from Whitsunday Coast (Proserpine) Airport; reps meet passenger flights at both. From Shute Harbour or Abel Point Marina, the one-way fare is A$30. The transfer lands you at Long Island Resort, which can transfer you to Palm Bay for A$20 per person.
Air Whitsunday provides one-way charter plane connections between Hamilton Island's Whitsunday Airport and Long Island for A$280 (up to four passengers) or A$420 (up to 6); and from Whitsunday Coast (Proserpine) Airport for A$790 (up to four passengers) or A$950 (up to 6), each way. Flights are timed to coincide with domestic air services. Aviation Adventures can fly you by helicopter between Long Island and various other Whitsundays islands, including Hamilton Island (Whitsundays) Airport, and from Airlie Beach; however prices are steep, the trip requires minimum passenger numbers, and prebooking is essential.
Guests of Paradise Beach Island Eco-Escape can take a helicopter from Hamilton Island airport to Long Island (or back again) anytime between 7:30 am and 5 pm; or fly from Airlie Beach on the mainland, a 15-minute trip, between 9 and 5. The scenic flight is A$290 return, per person. Baggage is limited to 15 kilograms (30 pounds) per person, and should be in soft-sided bags. Excess luggage can be stored at the airport. Virgin, Qantas, and Jetstar schedule daily flights between Hamilton Island and Sydney, Brisbane, and Cairns.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations