Mackay-Capricorn Islands Feature
Camping on Lady Musgrave Island
Camping here can be isolated: take first-aid supplies, food, water, and all gear—including, if possible, an emergency marine radio (mobile phone coverage is limited on the cays). Hurricanes (cyclones) may necessitate emergency evacuation in the wet season. In an emergency, tune in to VMR477 Round Hill or VMR488 Bundaberg, 7 am-6 pm on channel 81 marine VHF; or Queensland Police Service, Bundaberg, monitors channel 81 marine VHF day and night. Be aware of local hazards, including large centipedes and bird ticks; and follow DERM guidelines to minimize your impact on island vegetation, nesting seabirds, turtle hatchlings, and the fragile reef. The island is generally closed from after the Australia Day weekend (around January 27) until Easter (March or early April), to minimize impact on emerging turtle hatchlings, breeding seabirds, and sensitive vegetation.
Camping on Lady Musgrave Island. The island, part of the Capricornia Cays National Park, is uninhabited and has only basic facilities (one toilet block and emergency radio equipment) for campers. Commercial tour operators from the Town of 1770 on the mainland have all camping equipment and necessary provisions available for rent. More information on the national park can be obtained from the Gladstone office of the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (07 4971-6500) or the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (07 4750-0700 www.gbrmpa.gov.au). The Environmental Protection Agency (www.derm.qld.gov.au) is a good source of information on camping in Capricornia Cays National Park. Contact the Queensland Government's 24-hour info line (13-1304) for camping permits (A$5.15 per person per night). Reservations can be made 11 months in advance. Book early, as school breaks and holidays fill up fast; no more than 40 campers may visit the island at any one time.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations