- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tamborine National Park
Tamborine National Park Review
More than 20 million years ago, volcanic eruptions created rugged landscapes, while fertile volcanic soils produced the luxuriant tracts of rain forest that make up enchanting Tamborine National Park. This is the most developed region of the Gold Coast Hinterland, and it's worth spending a day or two here. Apart from the natural environment, there are wineries, lodges, restaurants, and the famed Gallery Walk, a 1-km-long (½-mi-long) street lined with art galleries. Some of the simplest (under two hours) and best trails here are the Cedar Creek Falls Track, with waterfall views; Palm Grove Rainforest Circuit; and Macdonald Rainforest Circuit, a quieter walk popular with bird-watchers. Start your visit with a stop at Tamborine Mountain Visitor Information Centre, open 10 am to 3 pm daily.
Several fragmented parks make up Tamborine National Park. To the east of Witches Falls is Joalah National Park, where a 1½-km (1-mi) circuit takes you to a rocky pool at the base of Curtis Falls.
Witches Falls. Queensland's first national park, Witches Falls, has excellent picnic facilities and a 3-km (2-mi) walk that snakes downhill through open rain forest and past lagoons.
MacDonald National Park. MacDonald National Park has a flat, easy 1½-km (1-mi) walk. 07/5538-4419 (Gold Coast Tourism). www.derm.qld.gov.au. Free. Daily dawn-dusk.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations
August - September 2012
August 18 (Saturday): Newark to San Francisco to Sydney
My spouse and I flew United from Newark, NJ (EWR) to Sydney (SYD) via San Francisco (SFO). Read more
Last week we spent 5 days on Tasmania's beautiful west coast.
I last traveled on the Bass Strait ferry back in the 80s but Geoff and Taine had never taken the voyage so we decided it would be a fun bu Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more