The West Coast Travel Guide
The wildest and least explored countryside in Australia lies on Tasmania's west coast. Due to the region's remoteness from the major centers of Hobart and Launceston, as well as its rugged terrain, the intrepid pioneers who developed this part of the island endured incredible hardships and extremely difficult living conditions. Though the area is now internationally recognized as one of the world's richest mineral provinces, with vast deposits of tin, gold, silver, copper, lead, and zinc, even today the viability of towns depends on the fluctuations in the price of the metals. The region still seems like part of the frontier.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best West Coast restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The West Coast
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps ... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe