Tasmania Great Itineraries
Tasmania Great Itineraries
If You Have 3 Days
Spend your first morning in Hobart, where you can stroll around the docks, Salamanca Place, and Battery Point, and have some caught-that-morning fish-and-chips from the harbor's floating chippies. After lunch, drive to Richmond and explore its 19th-century streetscape, then stay in a local B&B. On the second day head for Port Arthur, and spend the morning exploring the town's historic park, the site of the island's former penal colony. Take the afternoon to drive through the dramatic scenery of the Tasman Peninsula, noting the tessellated pavement and Tasman Arch blowhole near Eaglehawk Neck. Return to Hobart for the night, then on the third morning take a leisurely drive around the scenic Huon Valley. On return to Hobart, finish your tour with a trip to the summit of Mt. Wellington.
If You Have 5 Days
Explore Hobart on foot the first morning, stopping for lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants at Elizabeth Street Pier, and then wander through historic Richmond. Spend the night in Hobart, then on the second day drive through the scenic Huon Valley. Return to Hobart for the night, and on the Day 3 drive to Port Arthur, taking in the beauty of the Tasman Peninsula on the way. Spend the night in Port Arthur, then drive early on the fourth day to Freycinet National Park. Climb the steep path to the outlook over Wineglass Bay, then descend to the sands for a picnic and swim. Stay the night in the park, then on Day 5 meander back through the east coast wine regions. Return to the capital, topping off the day with city views from Mt. Wellington.
If You Have 10 Days
Take a walking tour of Hobart on the first morning, then take an afternoon drive to Richmond before returning for the night. On the second day, drive to the Tasman Peninsula, enjoying the scenic back roads before heading to Port Arthur for the night. On the third day, head back southwest through Hobart toward the bucolic orchards of the Huon Valley and the Tahune Forest Airwalk. Depart early on the fourth morning for Strahan, stopping at Lake St. Clair. Spend the night, take an all-day cruise on the Gordon River, and stay another night. On Day 6 make the long drive north via Zeehan and Marrawah to Stanley, a village set beneath the Nut. Have lunch here, then head back east to Devonport and stay the night. On Day 7, turn inland via Sheffield or Wilmot to reach Cradle Mountain National Park. Stay two nights, using Day 8 to explore the region's natural beauty. On the ninth day, leave early for Launceston, spend the night, then head back to Hobart.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations